I don’t know about you, but car seat covers are a must if you’re looking to preserve the original look of your car’s interior. I know some people who don’t like the look and feel of seat covers, while others find it very hard to install and keep the covers in place.
Truth be told, most of these problems have something to do with fitment. The best seat covers should be custom made to the make and model of your vehicle. However, custom seat covers are more expensive. But if you’re looking for the best value, universal-fit seat covers are a good choice.
In our list of the best car seat covers, we chose the best custom fit and universal seat covers in the market based on customer satisfaction, materials, quality, and value for money.
|CalTrend Custom Seat Cover
|Coverking Exact Fit Seat Cover
|FH Group Universal Fit Bucket Seat Cover
|FH Group PU Leather Front Car Seat Covers
|Elantrip Waterproof Front Seat Covers
|Car Pass Line Rider Universal Seat Cover
|Autoyouth Car Seat Covers
**Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Seat Cover Materials: What You Need To Know
In the world of custom cars, the only limits are the imagination. Seat covers come in various colors and materials. In fact, it’s entirely possible to order a custom set of seat covers in denim, suede, faux leather, or any type of material.
But generally speaking, here are the most common types of materials utilized in most universal-fit seat covers.
1. Leather: This material pertains to either genuine cowhide or faux/PU leather. Besides having a more luxurious and premium feel than ordinary cloth seat covers, leather is moderately water-resistant and relatively easy to clean. However, leather is prone to damage caused by friction and UV rays.
2. Suede: This material is a lower-cost alternative to genuine leather but offers tougher protection and longer wear. But then again, suede easily gets damaged by water spills and UV rays. In terms of looks, a nice set of suede seat covers will give the interior a like-new appearance.
3. Neoprene: This material is mostly found in newer cars, trucks, and SUVs. Neoprene has a premium look and feel but offers total protection against liquid spills or water damage. If you have a convertible or if the interior is repeatedly exposed to the elements, neoprene seat covers are the way to go.
4. Velour: This material is derived from polyester or cotton. Velour is a plush and knitted fabric that offers superior comfort and a softer feel. However, velour doesn’t offer much in terms of protection, but it does give your vehicle a luxurious vibe.
5. Ballistic nylon: This material is not the most premium, nor is it the most comfortable or softest for car seat covers. But in terms of heavy-duty protection against liquid spills, UV damage, heavy friction, cuts, and tears, ballistic nylon is the best seat cover material. If you have pets, consider installing a ballistic nylon seat cover in your car.
The 7 Best Car Seat Covers Reviewed
If you want a custom fit seat cover that doesn’t sag or wrinkle at the slightest hint of friction, check out the CalTrend Custom Seat Cover. Each piece is precision cut and custom made for the make and model of your vehicle. Because of this, the seat covers are easy to install and easily slips over the original upholstery with no need to tie knots or install messy hooks.
CalTrend Custom Seat Covers are crafted from a soft and durable material that combines the comfort of cotton and the easy cleaning characteristics of polyester. The material is breathable, compression resistant, and ideal in both extreme hot and cold weather.
Perhaps our only complaint is the price. You can easily pay around $150 or more for a complete set of CalTrend seat covers. But since each piece is custom made, the seat covers are easy to install and remove.
- Cleaner look
- Durable material
- Good for pets and heavy-duty use
- Easy to clean
- Custom-fit with no wrinkles or sags
- It’s expensive
In terms of maximum toughness and year-round durability, it’s hard to argue with the Coverking seat cover. Each piece is constructed using high-quality Cordura ballistic fabric, which is the same material used in manufacturing outdoor equipment, luggage, and military-grade equipment. This seat cover is an excellent choice for family vehicles exposed to food and liquid spills, pets, and heavy wear.
Coverking seat covers are three times the thickness of ordinary covers. Each piece is custom made to fit your car, truck, or SUV including a custom-made armrest, console cover, headrest, and map pockets. Coverking is offering their custom seat covers in five colors so you can choose the best match for your vehicle.
Best of all, Coverking is including a MOLLE or Modular Lightweight Load-Carrying Equipment system for each order. The system is fitted on the backside of the seat and provides more storage space for tools, fishing equipment, or camping gear.
- Extra tough material protects against spills and UV exposure
- Custom made to fit your vehicle
- Heavy-duty look and feel
- Includes a 6-pouch MOLLE system provides extra storage space
- Not as soft as neoprene or velour
- It’s expensive
FH Group sells a ton of seat covers. This particular kit is the most popular, and do you know the reason why? It’s the price! FH Group is popular for making affordable seat covers. They are so affordable that you can literally buy eight to ten pairs for the single price of a custom-made seat cover. If the value for money is your top priority, FH Group seat covers are one of the best.
However, there’s a catch. While custom seat covers are sold as a complete set, this particular universal fit bucket seat cover from FH Group only includes covers for the front seats including the front headrests. But since you’re only paying for a small amount, this is not primarily a big issue. What’s more, this is a great deal if you have a small compact, sports coupe, van, or pickup truck with front bucket seats.
FH Group seat covers are crafted from high-quality and super soft fabric. It even comes with 3mm of breathable foam on the underside to offer better comfort. This seat cover is available in ten colors and comes with a bevy of Velcro openings and adjustable straps for a better fit.
- Soft fabric
- Premium style
- Easy to install
- Available in many colors
- Great low price
- Does not include covers for rear seats
- Not exactly a perfect fit for all car models
Are you craving for the look and feel of leather? This FH Group seat cover is not crafted from authentic cowhide. But it does look and feel like the real thing. It even smells like real leather and costs half as much as the genuine article. But for what it’s worth, this is one of the best universal fit faux leather seat covers you can buy.
However, there’s always a catch when buying universal seat covers. While the universal application is good for a large majority of cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs, you can’t expect the covers to fit your car seats like a glove. But if your vehicle comes with OEM bucket seats, this PU Leather Front Seat covers from FH Group are worth a try.
This particular kit only includes covers from the front seats and headrests, but the covers are ideal for both conventional and heated/cooled seats. As with other seat covers in the FH Group lineup, each piece is designed to slide easily with Velcro openings on the top and adjustable straps. Best of all, this faux-leather seat cover is available in many colors.
- The high-quality faux leather material
- Available in a variety of colors
- Soft and durable material
- Installs easily
- Universal fit
- Affordable price
- Does not produce a perfect fit
If liquid spills or weather exposure is your primary concern, check out the Elantrip Waterproof Front Seat Covers. This kit costs almost the same as FH Group seat covers, but you get the added benefit of advanced waterproof protection. This seat cover is manufactured from a water repellent flat cloth with 3mm backing foam. The fabric repels liquid and stains while remaining durable enough to protect against cuts and tears.
The Elantrip Waterproof Front Seat Covers are airbag compatible. You’ll find dual-side tear seams on both sides of the covers to allow the airbag to deploy safely. This kit is easy to install using simple hooks and loops. It’s available in a variety of color combinations as long as you like black and/or gray. This kit includes front seat covers and headrest covers only.
- Advanced protection against spills and water damage
- Soft material
- Easy to install
- Friendly price
- Covers the entire seat but doesn’t have the perfect fit
The Car Pass Line Rider Universal Seat Cover is a complete kit for below $40. This includes seat covers for the front and rear seats including a bench cover and headrest covers. The front seat covers are airbag compatible to fit most modern cars, crossovers, and small SUVs.
And unlike other options in our list of best car seat covers, the Car Pass Line Rider is equipped with a thicker 5mm backing foam to offer higher levels of supple comfort. The breathable and wrinkle-resistant material provides a custom look with lasting durability. And if you’re concerned about style, Car Pass is offering the Line Rider in a variety of colorways including black and mint blue, black and red, black and gray, and even black and pink for the lady drivers.
- Softer and more comfortable
- Available in many colors
- Breathable material with a durable feel
- Easy to install
- Complete seat covers for front and rear seats
- Fantastic price
- Universal design does not produce an exact fit
The Autoyouth Car Seat Covers are different than the best seat covers in this list. For starters, the eye-catching pattern will add a sporting touch to your car’s interior. The design is lifted directly from the treads of a high-performance directional tire, and it looks awesome! The seat covers are manufactured from a polyester fabric with a 3mm foam backing and a finishing layer of mesh cloth. The result is a soft and luxurious feel to go with the sporty design.
This is a complete set of seat covers that includes covers for the front and rear seats including the front and rear headrests. The universal fit is ideal for most Japanese and American cars, trucks, and crossovers. The front seat covers are equipped with generous storage pockets in the back to accommodate small items like magazines, newspapers, tablets, and snacks.
- Sporty design
- Soft and premium feel
- Storage pockets in the back of front seat covers
- Easy to install
- Universal design does not provide a perfect fit
Custom seat covers are the most expensive in this list. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the CalTrend Custom Seat Cover since each piece is precisely tailored to follow the contours of the car seat. I know universal seat covers are cheaper, but it’s hard to compete with custom set covers in terms of fit and finish.
If you have a truck or SUV for demanding off-road driving, I highly recommend the tougher protection of the Coverking Seat Cover despite the higher price tag.
But if all you need is a basic set of seat covers that won’t cost an arm and a leg, you can’t go wrong with FH Group seat covers. And if you want a complete set of universal set covers for both the front and rear seats, the Car Pass Line Rider and Autoyouth Car Seat Covers are the best choices.